View Single Post
Old 09-16-11, 06:47 AM
Honestron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SRAM GripShift 'comp' comes with the cable already installed so it is a good choice if cost is not a problem. One thing though, the MRX version is only for SHIMANO derailleurs; it is the version WITHOUT 'MRX' that is for SRAM derailleurs. I had a similar problem threading a cable into one of these and frankly there was just no way to do it. Eventually I had to move to position 7, the highest gear on mine, then ease off the parts, the grip then the rotating wheel.

Those who have a working GripShift should seriously consider studying the internal cable run by opening the shifter BEFORE attempting to run a new cable. Do not just pull out the old cable without studying the matter in detail. The SRAM procedure cannot be trusted.

The internal mating part of the grip section fits above the spring when you are putting it back, and remember to put back the wheel on the high position. (As I see it, position 1 is an absolute mix up). Anyway, feed the cable through the outer grip then across the wheel and through the small hole in the wheel, then down the side channel to go through the barrel adjuster. It helps if you bend about half a centimeter at the end of the cable, to help it through the barrel adjuster. Then reassemble and check that it lengthens and shortens the cable correctly before reconnecting the derailleur.

The SRAM version of how to install a new cable in a GripShift is absolutely impossible to follow, and I suspect many just buy a new shifter with cable installed for that reason. The straight 1:1 versions are getting a bit harder to find though, so it would be good if somebody with a camera made some photos of it and produced an instruction set for all of those who will some day need to thread a cable themselves.

Regards, and good luck, Honestron, London

Last edited by Honestron; 09-16-11 at 06:51 AM.