Old 09-16-11, 08:04 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ks1g
Hard to say - a quick look at the specs suggests your front light is a little less powerful than the Dinotte 200 and the rear is in the same class as the PBSF and knock-offs. How are the run times, ability to recharge, and most important, do they provide enough illumination for your riding? Having (and continuing) to seek the ONE TRUE BICYCLE LIGHTING SYSTEM (TM?), I suggest the following:

If your current light doesn't seem to you to be bright enough, add a 200L (AA or Li) for better illumination and eliminate a point of failure. Maybe helmet-mount the Dinotte. AA's are easy to carry spares and cheaper, Li will provide longer run time. If you need much more lighting, look @ their larger lights. If your rear Cygo is comparable to the PBSF-class lights, do you feel you need to provide overtaking drivers even more warning that you are there? You could have someone else ride your bike for you and do some test passes at night on the roads (or similar) you use - if the amount of "be seen" warning you get feels inadequate to you (and you know the bike is there and are looking for it), it'll definitely be inadequate for drivers who don't include the possibility of anything smaller than a subcompact car could be on the same road. Consider off-angle as well as directly behind/ahead. And add a code-compliant red reflector if required by your state/local vehicle codes. Too many jurisdictions will use any excuse they can find to find the cyclist at-fault and avoid holding the driver responsible for anything if the worst does happen.

IMO, I'd look at adding up front. For the back, a reflector + a second PBSF-class light (reliability, broaden the visibility cone) may be good enough for you. Congrats on your wedding!
Thanks for the extensive reply! I agree with adding up front, it's a bright light, but I got pulled out in front of twice in a short span recently using that light. As for the rear, I'll try to get a look from a car like you suggested. Reflectors are a good idea also. In the end, if those Dinottes are as bright as people say, I might just go ahead and buy one.

Back on topic, the Magicshine tail light I had was bright as heck and I felt comfortable using it at night and in the day, but it just didn't last.