View Single Post
Old 09-18-11, 06:08 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Thanks, guys! Even though there is a lot more wear than my crummy iPhone picture shows, this thing has gotten compliments wherever I go.

The saddle is a Wrights, and I'm sure it's original. There's nothing wrong with it, but I don't like the way the edges feel, so I'd like to upgrade. Let's see -- B17 or B72? Hmmm.

I've tried tightening down the bolt on the front caliper, but I started worrying about bending something with the effort I was putting into it. I just took it on another test ride around the neighborhood. It's been drizzling a little, so it was the perfect chance to test out the wet-weather braking. The fronts seem to rock and "pulse" a little less, but it could also be that I was using a firmer grip to re-dry those rims. The rears were nearly useless -- I'm changing my order to include a set of Kool-Stops for the rear as well! I'll be losing those cool stay braces though. Has anyone tried fabricating limit stops that can be bolted into the arms? Looks like there's plenty of room.

- Scott
To tighten up the brake you need a wrench and a large screwdriver for that front screw. I will have to do the process again to be able do describe it properly.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon