View Single Post
Old 09-18-11, 07:43 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
My handlebars on my Sports started to rotate while I was out riding. When I got home I tightened the stem clamp but they still rotated so under pressure so I tightened some more and stripped the stem bolt. For the time being, I added three washers above the nut so that nut would be on thread. It still rotates under normal force of riding. I have a feeling the problem is with the handlebar serrations or lack their of, but the handlebars are otherwise in great shape, with good chrome. I am purchasing another Raleigh bolt (with the stem, from eBay). I would rather not have to purchase another handlebar too.

Any ideas? Should I try Loctite?
Assuming all parts are original, I suspect the cause for the handlebars rotating is that the bolt was initially under-torqued - and then subsequently over-torqued.

- Apart from threads being stripped, it is also possible that the little anti-rotation nib under the head of the bolt has been compromised, such that you cannot attain adequate clamping load before it begins to rotate.

- Of course w/o physically inspecting the parts, I am speculating, but I am confident that the new stem & bolt will be sufficient to obviate the problem, provided it is manufactured to Raleigh's original specs.