View Single Post
Old 07-04-05, 12:02 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Machka. Traveled extensively in Western Europe. Do need a crash course in French , Spanish. Having traveled there, not too worried should we be lucky and end up there..
But Czech Rep is new to us. My wife speaks German so she should cope just fine with Czech Rep. Hungary offers special interest to us. But even that language bothers , even My wife. Well, must be easier than Greek? Wonder if Hungary has a crime problem?
As I mentioned my cycling acquaitence works for an international touring company. seems she was not very bi-lingual; but then New Zealand is english.
by way. I disagree with comment western Europe is all Brit English. Our French friends do not get along with Brit and Brit English. I hate to be the one to stir the international boiling pot. BUt read Continental commentary about Brits when the continent plays England in WOrld Cup soccer. they view the Brits as drunken sops..
Heah, I believe what I read. ? Saw such comments in Sports commentary in 'L Equipe".
But, the French may disagree with our wars, but they do not take it out on AMericans. I have come to believe they are fascinated by American ways and respect our ways, even if they would not want some of our values inflicted upon themselves.
I am told the French want to hear American english and its being less common and we being the bigger trading partner, makes for a need to understand our dialect.