Old 09-21-11, 11:05 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Buying a used bike, especially without actually seeing or riding it could carry some risks. Depending on the final bid, the cost with shipping could be in the neighborhood of $550. (Bikes Direct sell a couple of decent touring bikes right in this price range) Also, depending on your mechanical ability the cost of going completely through the bike could be costly. All the bearings should be re-greased before a tour. This would include: both hubs, headset, bottom bracket and pedals. I'm not sure if this bike has a freewheel or a free hub, but the grease in either one can congeal to a pretty solid substance in that amount of time. Also do you have the specialized tools: crank puller, freewheel puller, chain tool, cone wrenches, bottom bracket tool, etc.? Does the seat post still move inside the seat tube or are they rusted together? ? If you can do this yourself and have the tools, it is not a big deal. If you have to take it to a shop, it will add substantially to the cost.

If it has been "hanging in the garage for 25 years, the tires will probably need replacing. It has 27" wheels and a 6 speed cluster. While not a deal killer, it does reduce the options for tires and gearing changes if needed. Brake pads also tend to change "character" when they are old. Same with the original saddle. The point is that you may have to invest another $200+ to get it up to touring condition, and when you are finished you still have an old bike.

I just went through a bike that was hanging in a warm dry environment for about the same amount of time. I have all the tools and know my way around bikes. I still had to put in a lot of time to get it to a ridable condition. I would rather buy a used bike that someone rides and maintains on a regular basis, than one that has been sitting for a very long time.

On the plus side it has all the racks, which is a savings over the other bikes you are considering. Also, this type of bike has been used on countless tours for thousands of miles.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-21-11 at 11:12 PM.