View Single Post
Old 09-23-11, 08:52 PM
chanamagoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike stolen. No bueno. =o(

So it was bound to happen, but I had hoped that it wouldn't happen for some time! They got through the u-lock and the cable, the jerks. On the plus side, someone please PLEASE tell me that I've fulfilled my bike-being-stolen quota for my life...?

It's a yellow, black and white Jamis Coda from about 2004 or 2005...if anyone catches sight of it in NYC or surrounding areas (it will most likely will be in Brooklyn, it was stolen in the Park Slope area), um...well I don't really know what you would do, but you know, just thought I'd put the description out there, just in case.

I'm in heavy mourning right now...not only was I in love with my bike, but finally, after 2 months of riding continuously, I was really JUST hitting my bike commuting stride....I got a biathlon under my belt, I'm logging more miles, and i literally just poured all this money into getting the bike the way I liked....new road tires to replace the hybrids, toe clips, drop bars with new shifters, a smaller cassette, and I took all the quick release crap off and replaced it with stuff that you need a special key to unscrew....I mean, they're pretty basic upgrades, but all that stuff adds up...

I do have a plan...my sister has a Jamis bike she never uses and just offered to ship it to me next month and if it's a good fit, I'll upgrade hers to where mine was...but if that doesn't work out, my LBS specializes in collaborative builds....I'm going to pull funds from as many places as I can and see what I come up with, then they'll help me find what I'm looking for, or, more accurately, help me pinpoint what to look for, since I basically know nothing about bikes that don't already come built, then theyll help me put it together...I'm going to be building the bike myself in their shop and they're going to help me do it! I specifically asked if someone who was a complete beginner could do it and they were really encouraging about it, so I feel good about this plan. I had not planned to drop money on a new bike until next year (I had a jar! $.50 per mile biked/run! So anticlimactic breaking it open after 3 weeks...), but I think this will be a really good way for me to learn learn learn!

Anyways...anyone have any "feel better" or "keep your chin up" things they could pass along? Words of encouragement for a first time bike builder?