Thread: Colnago help
View Single Post
Old 09-24-11, 09:30 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
My guess is a late 80's or early 90's Super frame. More specifically, I'm going to guess at 1991 when I think the century finished Record gruppo was first available. The reason I am guessing 1991 is that the headset looks to have a century finish and, being a headset, it is quite possible it was fitted from new. I think the 'brifters' were a later addition. I think your bike was originally fitted with a c-record gruppo.

I do have a few reservations though: Why don't the F & R derailleurs have the century finish? Could they have replaced the original century finished items? Or, were the century finished components added later by the original owner. Did you get any information about the make-up and history of the bike from the previous owner? He must have purchased it in 1994, (about when the brifters were made) and probably from the original owner.

It is interesting to see the curved front forks fitted to the frame. I bought a new Colnago frame around that time and was offered either curved or straight bladed forks. The Cinelli engraved stem is also a nice addition.

I think you got a bargain especially with the century finished components and the stem.