View Single Post
Old 09-27-11, 05:44 PM
TacomaSailor

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florida Hills from a Seattle perspective

A lot of my family lives in Florida - that is nice for us in the winter - I've noticed during the last 45 years that it occasionally rains here in the Puget Sound during the October to thru June period that we call winter.

While riding in Florida I stopped in a small town to ask directions. They were very helpful and said "go about two miles North - after you go up and over the BIG hill - turn left at the bottom..."

Couldn't find the place to turn left - went back for more help - turns out the BIG HILL was the overpass where the county road went up and over the Interstate.

Another Florida Hill story:

I spent three months with my Dad in Cape Coral Florida a couple years ago - I stopped in the local bike shop to ask where I could ride to get some uphill work so I would not suffer to much when I got back to Puget Sound.

The shop said they do a local hill climb and gave me the address - it turned out to be the Cape Coral bridge over the Caloosahatchee River - the road rises from 5' to 65' in a 1/2 mile - that was the local hill climb!

A final Florida Hill story:

My folks live not to far from a scenic rural road called "Tuckers Grade" - I had to try riding that - the roads with "Grade" in them in Puget Sound of SoCal always seemed to be a challenge for me. "Tuckers Grade" climbs 10 feet in 10 miles!

Local Perspective is what counts