Old 09-28-11, 03:46 AM
Street Pedaler

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 (RIP), 2013 Trek Domane 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McCallum
I turned back for a quickstop to get peanut butter crackers; a buck vs the glucose tabs. I was an EMT and knew fellow techs who instead of carrying a tube of glucose; carried a tube of cake icing in their kit for a low sugar diabetic; their comment was that most people would rather eat the icing than the glucose and that the icing had the same effectiveness as the glucose.
McCallum, exactly. I realize M&M's aren't the recommended food of choice (which is why I said as much in my first reply) but they get the glucose back up and I don't have such a concern over "Spiking" because I'm still working and still burning through it. And, while Glucose Tabs/ Gels are great, I do get at least a LITTLE Protein in the mix from the Peanuts. My Docs actually thought that, given the circumstances, it wasn't actually the worst idea that they'd ever heard. But I'm not anybody's doctor so don't anyone take this as a prescription.

SStorkel, yes, there are almost always warning signs but I think we're arguing semantics. Most of the warning signs for Hypoglycemia are, FOR ME, the same as I get for an extraneous work out. And that's another point to consider, not everyone has the same warning signs.

The point is, and I think I made it, BE PREPARED. Learn your signs/ symptoms and have something readily available to handle them.