Old 09-28-11, 05:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
There are 3 components you want to play nice with each other:

1-The freewheel. I don't know if the Sunrace is "ramped" for indexing, but 6 and 7 speed freewheels designed for indexing work much better than a freewheel that may have the same spacing, but isn't. By the same token, ramped freewheels make friction shifting much smoother, too. Some "straight cut" freewheels actually work fine with indexed shifters, so don't run out and buy a freewheel just yet. I do not know if your Sunrace is spaced the same as an indexed one. Easiest way to tell is to put it next to one that is. I think www.sheldonbrown.com may have the spacing somewhere.

2-The shifters. Goes without saying, as they're the indexed part. 6-sp and 7-sp are about the same price if you look. There are some here on the ISO/Trade thread. You may need a DT clamp to mount them on.

3-The rear "mech" or rear derailleur. The indexing versions travel a given amount for a specific amount of cable pull. All RD's do what they're told, but not all RD's do as much as each other when told the same thing. You want one that gets the message.

I would say, tops, you may have to spend $50 on parts. Labor may be necessary to swap out the freewheel if you change that. We're here to help, and enjoy the bike. Friction shifting makes you a better rider in the long run, because you have to plan, anticipate, and think about what you're doing. Experience with friction makes you a more competent index cyclists, and that one shift you anticipated, when everyone else missed, will be proof.

Welcome to the forum.