Old 09-28-11, 06:37 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
This is kind of a newbie question. I'm glad I found this thread and maybe someone can chime in.

I've been riding on 700 X 35 Vittoria Rando Crosses on a Raleigh One Way and I'm wondering about the PSI. The recommended is like 60-70, but I felt like that was ridiculous, especially for the rear tire and I know suggested PSI doesn't always mean much.

Anyway, I do city riding and really short 4-8 mile rides. I'm about 170 lbs and I'm running the back tire at 100 PSI (according to my frame pump gauge). The front is at 80-90 and it's great, but the back tire looks too flat when riding (I'm constantly glancing at it) and sometimes feels sluggish. Anybody else ride 700x35 VR Crosses? And at what PSI?
Why would you consider the recommended pressure ridiculous? They're relatively large tires intended for touring/cross/etc, not skinny race tires that need high pressure for performance and pinch-flat prevention.

I'm also about 170, my Sojourn is 32 pounds, and I've toured with 35+ pounds on top of that, and have never felt even the slightest need to go higher than 70PSI.