View Single Post
Old 09-28-11, 09:19 PM
choteau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At the age of 21 a L3-L4-L5 emergency decompressive laminectomy, resulting in nerve damage causing loss of use of left foot, weak left hamstring and hip flexors, rotators etc requiring AFO, just for fun +sciatica. The right side footdrop partially compensated by using toe flexors to lift foot "almost to neutral", weak foot extensors and rotators. Roll in the Cauda Equina Syndrome affecting the S1-S2-etc and you get some bowel and bladder etc issues. Fast forward 21 years and the knees and hips are paying the toll also, with bursitus and arthritis caused by over compensating for gimpy legs. Then a C5-C6 disc rupture, first surgery got most of the disc fragments, nine months later (after nerve damage to right tricep, outer forearm, index and thumb) second surgery "found" a bone spur and disc fragments missed the first time. Another 12 years bring us up to date, I ride my old 3 speed between 18 and 30 miles 3-4 times a week. Easier to ride 30 than walk 2. Except for a swagger when I walk (limp) I look "normal". Tim