View Single Post
Old 09-29-11, 11:36 PM
greenmonstr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
front shifting (not!)

I recently got an old Burley Django SWB and noticed the shifting wasn't great on the front chainrings, especially going from middle to big ring. The bike had newish 8 speed Shimano trigger shifters and a shimano sora road 8 spd front derailleur, and a middle of the road mountain crank (with a bigger jump from middle to 44 tooth big ring than from the small 22 to middle). The FD shifting down to the small chainring was no problem....but it seemed to take forever (and considerable pressure on the trigger to get to the big ring. New chain and cassette did not improve things. I did some research.. Aha! Shimano trigger shifters were never meant to move a road FD. I had a compatible XT mountain FD and had it installed at the LBS....ack....shifting is still not great, chain only wants to move from the middle to the big ring if i'm in the higher gears of the rear derailleur when i shift the FD) Any ideas?...would it help to change the cranks to a closer range, or change the shifters to some old XTs? Or is this just a common problem with recumbents and mountain bike triples that I need to come to terms with (and plan my shifts a few kms in advance) Surely not ?