SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrowana View Post
When I look at an average Wal-Mart "MTB", I see a decent set of brake pads, tires that can have studs added for winter use, cables and housing that can be used on bikes, and a bunch of scrap metal. Sure, I often take a few other things, but they generally sit unused, or still do a crappy job when installed on a good bike.

I wonder if you have really looked at Wal-Mart frames. The most common ones are full suspension heaps of junk. I suppose the rigid ones are useable, but they are still very heavy, and are hardly beautiful. It isn't hard to find pics of welds on them that are quite ugly.
Hi there Arrowana!

So what you're saying then, is that you're taking cheap Walmart components and installing them on other bicycles. Excuse me, but that practice can only be seen as decreasing the value of the recipient bicycle. The brakes on most Walmart bikes are made of the cheapest plastic and metal within the industry. The tires used to transport Walmart bikes are some of the cheapest ever produced in modern civilization. Usually, they make some deal with a large tire manufacturer, to mass-produce a huge number of the cheapest bicycle tires, for a small and market dependable profit.

Insofar as referring to Walmart bikes as, "Heaps of Junk", well they are most certainly as useful as their componentry allows them to be. If you're referring solely to their componentry, you're absolutely correct! However, if you are referring to their frames, nothing could be further from the truth!

When considered together as a whole bike, let's just say, " that a chain is as strong as its weakest link!"

- Slim