View Single Post
Old 10-08-11, 10:29 AM
datlas 
Beyond Bogus

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 397 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8782 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
"Lazy" Mechanical Question

I noticed after today's club ride that my rear brake is sticking (i.e. not releasing).

It won't fully release unless I manually pull the brake lever back into place, or if I pull on the exposed brake cable along the underside of the top tube.

The brakes are Ultegra 6700, original brake cable, the bike is a little over 1 year old.

Anyway, I think the "correct" thing to do is remove the cable, clean out any crud that might be in the housing between the brake lever and the front TT cable stop, and put in a new cable (and maybe even new housing). I suspect the bike deserves a new cable anyway since the current one is original and has approx 8000 miles on it.

However I am feeling quite lazy and am looking for a "quick fix," even if temporary, for tomorrow's ride, and maybe enough to last a month or two...

I would rather do a repair job like this in the winter if possible, as part of a thorough cleaning/maintenance job.

Short of just manually pushing the brake lever back into place after braking, does anyone have a "quick and dirty" fix that might work?
Addiction is all about class.
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Better to just stay out of the 41