Old 10-09-11, 08:58 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
It's important to have lots of hand positions on a touring bar. A mustache bar fills that requirement. Double wrap the bars for better ergonomics and comfort.
Mustache bars are very sensitive to setup (in my experience), and until you have them dialed in just right, they can me miserable. Just using them on the wrong bike can make them almost useless.

They need a bike with a short top tube, trying to fit them onto a mountain bike almost always ends poorly. The already long top tube of most mountain bikes combined with the several centimeters of extra reach of a mustache bar makes them very uncomfortable in the hoods. Because the reach to the hoods is too much to be comfortable, you end up spending your time in the low reach, swept back parts where you can be very comfortable, but aren't great for long distances.

Once you have them set up, keep on tweaking them; moving my brake levers less than a centimeter, and tilting the bars a few degrees made the difference between my hands going numb for a week, and absolute comfort.