Old 10-12-11, 08:58 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by puckett129
I found a set of straight bars, SLR-660 shifters, grips, levers, and a step for $50 on e-bay. It was a great deal and may solve my issue. There's not a lot of stuff about the R660 shifters, but they seem to be the (Ultegra) 9sp shifters that predated the current R770 flat bar shifters. If I can get the FD to work like crowly84 did then I should be all set!

Worst case I could go to 10sp and pick up the 770 shifters or maybe even try SRAM stuff since they seem to have more flat bar shifters available that will work with their road components. Next time I'll just buy a flat bar road bike. I have somehow convinced myself that I could only ride drops and that I loved riding the hoods. I'm looking forward to trying out this new setup.
In the worst case you can sell the shifters to me. Wish you luck with the Tiagra derailleur- but if you find that the shifter won't "click" once it's made the shift to the big chainring, that's a symptom of the shifter pulling too much cable. The solution is the FD-R453 derailleur, as above.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..