Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Hi Slim!

If, hypothetically, I were in the mood to have a discussion on "purpose" of a bicycle, I would further narrow your three classes to two: functional and recreational. And all recreational bikes have functional aspects, and all functional bikes have recreational aspects. And all of these aspects are somewhat objective, but largely subjective. My functional commuting bike functions for me with the inclusion of a backpack, but might fall into someone's definitional of a recreational bike.

I have, and I must apologize for this, read many of your threads. And many of them are very humorous, entertaining, witty, and ultimately very "West Coast", but they largely rely on pigeon holing a rider or a bike or a material or a process into that specific nook that you believe is the correct fit. You are very black and white in your summaries, and I believe firm in your beliefs and commitments. Just recognize that many of us who embrace the "anything you ride is good as long as you ride" mentality will gag and vomit on your pablum.

Luckily, this was all a hypothetical discussion, and I wasn't in the mood to share.
Hey there Roll!

I have a little time because afterall, I'm here in BF, enjoying your many witty reponses as well. However, I've also noticed that we both have a tendency to dispense information, based upon what we perceive to be knowledge obtained from reliable sources. Neither one of us appear to be overtly nasty, ill-willed, or intentionally misleading in our liberally dispersed opinions concerning bicycles with regards to either their use as a functional or recreational vehicle.

In reference to the rigidity of my "black and white" conclusions drawn. I only have a couple of really strong concepts whereas bicycles are concerned. Of course, that would be with regards to bicycle frame materials best applications and how aluminum has displaced steel in the world bicycle market. Other than that, I'm quite liberal in my summaries about the multiplicity of functions that quite a few bicycle types, serve.

By now, everyone most probably is aware that I prefer steel to any other bicycle frame material. So what? Most of us have a preferred bicycle material. Everyone most likely, is also aware that I feel that aluminum has a shorter fatigue life than does steel and should be priced at a less expensive level than steel. Due to both, its greater availability as a resource material and the relative ease with which it is processed to manufacture bicycles, much time is saved in the production cost of each unit. The savings in production should therefore, be passed on to the world's consumer cyclists. That's it!

I have nothing against aluminum. I rather like aluminum bicycles. I just prefer to ride steel-framed bikes. I prefer steel whether it's a commuter bike or a recreational bike.

I also have the firm belief that some components fit the function of a MTN bike more than that of a road bike. That's not so unusual. most of us, acknowledge that fact. It most certainly doesn't fit the pablum image of causing anyone to regurgitate. That is, unless they are knowledge-intolerant, information-sensitive, and have either very weak minds, stomachs, or possibly, both.

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-13-11 at 05:35 PM.