Old 10-15-11, 06:50 AM
reddog3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some folks might think that putting 400 bucks into a 12 year old bike doesn't make sense. In your case I think it does. Where else are you gonna get a bike like that, when your project is complete, for $400? I'd make certain that it's going to fit you first though.

Since both current setup and "new" fork use 1 1/8 steerer, the fork swap is doable. I see the Surly fork has a steerer tube length of 260mm. Make sure the old fork has a steerer shorter than that. I'm sure it does but measure anyway. You may want to upgrade the headset. The STS Aheadsets were fine if properly serviced however.

For brakes I'd probably do a linear pull rather than discs. But you have both options so it's up to you.

A friend put a set of those same wheels on his ride, and he's getting as good of service out of those as anything else- and he's pretty rough on gear. Other than that I don't have any first hand experience with those. Whaddaya got to lose? $60 dollar wheels aren't all that plentiful.

However, I do the think it would make more sense to get the wheelset form Jenson. This gives you a new rear hub, and the Deore is a decent hub.

Cables are cheap. Absolutely replace. Service all else and tune, and you'll have a good ride for the money.