View Single Post
Old 10-16-11, 06:29 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by pecos
Interesting post, and thought provoking

I think you are mostly right on this one. Steel bikes are still being made as well as Titanium and Aluminum but it seems like in general a new material does have a limit as far as being the mainstream one.

Wow, that's a new one. Sounds interesting. However, with a feudalistic organization controlling road cycling like the UCI and their opposition to innovation, it may well be 20 years or more before they lower the weight limit to not only allow these new materials but other bike geometries as well

Right. Also, since CF manufacture appears to incur so much waste, the odds are against it to remain the dominant choice.

Yes, bamboo is certainly the greenest option -the Calfee way, but you can't make a bike frame of 100% bamboo, the bottom bracket and other parts are still traditional steel or other. Moreover, bamboo would only lend itself to tubular types (traditional). I'd tend to think that the future of cycling will be more practically-based than we can currently imagine. And by that I mean bikes for the purpose of mass transportation, as a replacement to cars, etc, rather than an exercise tool. These bikes would be more like the ones in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V2FgwN_re4

But anyway, it is nice to think about the future of cycling. We can dream, right?
Thanks for sharing the You Tube, that was cool. I think that if they could make something like those that would be dependable and be able to take a cross breeze without blowing off the road, and be able to fix flats without spending 3 hours taking the thing apart. Unfortunately there's no air conditioning and going against a head wind or cross wind or up steep mountain grades will slow you down hugely. Nor can you have the thing just fall over after you're done riding it! But it definitely reviews interesting things that can be done with just mere pedal power.