Old 10-17-11, 06:42 PM
borobike
Dept. store bike bandit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Free Spirit Sovereign 12 speed road bike, what have I got?

Found this on the side of the road today. It's scratched and scuffed, but near functional. Just needs new cables and shifters to pedal away right now from what I can tell. Actually, I think with air in the tires it could pedal off right now, it just wouldn't be able to shift.

But I'd like to do this bike up more than that. I'm aware that this isn't a particularly valuable bike (Sears bike from the 70s?) but I'd like to fix it up and make it into a nice vintage-style bike. Clean things off, buff the rusty bits, oil the moving parts and maybe throw some new cables at it, and give it a good repaint (I'm thinking light blue or green) and then finish it off with brown leather handlebar tape. This will hopefully make a nice backup or counterpart to my Denali.

Here's the pics!

The derailleurs both say Falcon. The rear one seems to move okay, the front one is seized. I may just replace it since FD's are cheap.

I do have questions! As I said, I know that this was a relatively inexpensive Sears bike, but can anyone tell me of it's overall quality in components? Maybe when it was sold? Also, are the wheels that are on this bike likely to be 27" or 700c? Is the Falcon RD worth saving or should I consider replacing it too? Anything else I should be aware of as I go about restoring this? Thanks for your input!

EDIT: Nevermind, I answered one of my own questions. I looked at one of the tires and they are 27 x 1 1/4 in size, so 27" wheels.

Last edited by borobike; 10-17-11 at 06:45 PM.