View Single Post
Old 10-21-11, 09:52 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
It follows that there is little point in suggesting to the unfit newcomer that they should immediately adopt a cadence of 85-90. They won't be able to sustain it, it will tire them out. What they need to do is be aware that as they get fitter, rather than changing to a higher gear to go faster at the same cadence, they should try pedalling a little faster with less pressure on each individual pedal stroke. It really is not necessary to buy a cadence sensor to do this, nor should any new cyclist feel that they aren't doing it right because they can't immediately adopt a high cadence. Of course they can't, that is perfectly normal.
The counter-point to this argument is that the longer you spend conditioning yourself to ride at a lower (or unknown) cadence, the more difficult it will be when you later decide you want to change your cadence. I, for one, wish that I had started focusing on cadence much earlier in my riding career. I would have had a lot more fun that first year on the bike if I'd been able to ride without the constant knee pain and burning quads that I got while mashing along at 60rpm...

I'm sure some people have the mental discipline to adjust their pedaling without knowing their cadence, but for myself I found that having a computer with cadence was an essential reminder as I was trying to adjust my cadence. That doesn't mean that everyone has to buy one, nor does buying one mean that you suddenly need to adopt a 120rpm Tour de France cadence, but they are a very useful tool to have in your arsenal... if increased fitness is your ultimate goal.