Old 10-21-11, 02:41 PM
nazran

Bikes: Specialized Expedition 08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Muscle Soreness, Commuting, Clyde 300+

Can you have Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness for weeks and months at a time?

The Problem...
I am stiff and sore EVERY single day. To the point where walking after long periods of sitting/sleep can literally make me unsteady. It takes several minutes of walking around before the stiffness and soreness subsides where I am not walking funny.

When I look at muscle anatomy I am pretty sure the soreness in my front leg muscle is the Vastus Intermedius and Lateralis (top middle and top outside of my quad) and the back of my legs the soreness is the Biceps Femoris muscle from top down to where it attaches to my knee. I have some occasional soreness in my calves, abbductor, and glutes but NOTHING like my upper legs.

Me...
  • I am 5'11"
  • I am 37
  • In May I was probably 330 lbs
  • I am now about 310
  • My activity level for the last 20 years has been couch potato with a slow build up to nearly 400 pounds, with 2 or 3 really dedicated 50 to 100 pound weightloss periods. (always with rebound weight gain)
  • My diet is primarily high protein, high fat, ultra low carb (20-30 carbs a day) since May
  • I hydrate well 80+ ounces on commute days and probably 40+ on weekend days
  • I stretch about 5 min before every commute.

My Commute...
I have been commuting pretty consistently since May the same 12.4 mile round trip route to work on an entry level comfort bike. I occasionally take a day off here and there and had a couple of week long breaks where my bike was broke. I sometimes throw a 10 mile Sat ride in as well. Even if we take the month of Oct at a glance I have ridden to work M ~ F every day this month except 4th, 13th, and 19th. So out of 13 out of the last 15 business days. I am not doing anything really else with my legs except some light yard work and house cleaning.

I would bet my bike weights 30+ pounds, my backpack (with generally clothes and water bottle) is probably 5 pounds. I wear tennis shoes, I have platform pedals.

To work is a net 71 yard climb and from work net 36 yard climb. I have many more steep climbs in the morning. It takes me about 38 min to work (6.2miles) and 35 min from work (6.4miles) slightly different routes.

My top speed is around 18-22mph with this gearing.

My Concern...
Is this actually not soreness and possibly some sort injury? I figured by now I should not have to deal with daily soreness and stiffness in my legs. Has anyone dealt with this before?

I do see progress... weight loss, leg strength is much better, I can stand up on pedals up hills, etc...