Old 10-22-11, 12:41 PM
InvisibleRider

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
Ask yourself first what kind of riding you plan to do - fitness, racing, enjoyment, etc. Once you do that investigate different styles of bikes and their geometry and how they ride. If you're looking at a used one go to Road Bike Review to see what people say about it. Check Bikepedia for the original msrp. Talk to other people.

There are four main materials in bikes - steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber (and combinations). I lean to steel because I love the ride and I love the classic look of the older ones. I don't race but I'm also no slouch on a bike and can hold my own on the old steel. If you're a little mechanically inclined you can find some really good deals on a used steel or aluminum.

Aluminum can be a rough ride so I'd look for one with a carbon fork. A lot of people instantly jump to carbon and for good reason they are stiff and pretty comfortable but just as with others there are things to look out for. Just research thoroughly. Titanium can be out of the price range you're looking at but is a heck of a ride.
Great info, thanks scozium.

I am looking at aluminum frames with carbon forks. I like yhe looks of specialized allez series and I am planning to test ride it today and see.