Old 10-24-11, 04:11 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple pair of Sidi boots, road and MTB, Gore-tex. For rain, I have some scuba booties, from Mike's (Nor-Cal suba shopt) tops cut off to fit outside and around the boot tops. Under rain pants. My feet stay dry. The combo works great.

In really cold weather (single-digits to below zero F) I use some tennie-style The North Face ankle-high shoes with Primaloft insulation. I'm an old-fart, slow-riding diabetic, so I really have to protect my toes. Those of you who are young, but want to keep your tootsies warm and dry, these things will make you happy, I suspect. If you're riding in lots of rain, in cool temps, and below freezing, you either have to figure out what will keep you comfy, or decide to be a hard-ass who relishes discomfort.

Both have proponents. When you're young, you should relish pushing through pain. When you get older, maybe too, but maybe not so much.

I like the Showers Pass Elite Jacket, also a Marmot Gore-Tex alpine parka with pit-zips.

If you are young, who cares if your feet get cold and wet? When you get older, you often look at things differently. I want my feet to be warm and dry. Thirty years ago, it didn't matter.