Old 10-24-11, 05:38 PM
neneboricua

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really, look into the SealSkin socks. I use the Mid Thermal Cycling socks. Together with some Louis Garneau "waterproof" shoe covers, I can ride down to around freezing temperatures in Seattle rain. Even though both items are supposed to be waterproof, my feet still get wet, but at least the water is reasonably warm.

The SealSkins socks really are waterproof, though. I can stand in a bucket of water and my feet will be totally dry as long as the water doesn't go over the top of them. The problem is that if you're out there for 3+ hours, water will eventually get in over the top of your socks. Also, your feet will get wet if you sweat a lot since waterproof socks won't breathe quite as nicely.

I combine those items with some water-repleant tights. These Pearl Izumi Ambfib work well for me. The description says waterproof, but that's only true in the locations where there is the softshell paneling, which is the front side of the tights. The back of the tights are a thermal mesh designed to breathe, so water can get in through there, but honestly that doesn't happen all that often. The coolest thing about these tights is that there is paneling around your butt so it keeps your butt almost totally dry while riding. This, together with a bike that has full fenders and you're pretty much set to stay as dry as possible. Just know that there's no way to stay TOTALLY dry.