Old 10-24-11, 08:50 PM
redeyedtreefr0g
Mrs. Hop-along

Bikes: Ladies Schwinn Super Sport and Gateway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, this is a treasure trove on information for any person thinking about commuting. I'm glad I read the whole little thread, you keep adding nuggets of awesome to it

I personally was very worried about traffic when I first started riding my bike. Partly that was due to regular fear of the unknown (and knowing how crazy people drive when you're in a CAR is scary too, if you're on a bike...?) and partly because my husband tends to be overly protective and concerned for the safety of his one-and-only me.

But it turns out not to be nearly as bad as I thought. I would ride on the shoulder of a 55mph 2-lane road without too much worry. Most people don't want to hit you and face those consequences just as much as you don't want to be hit. When I did have to get in the roadway, I acted just like I knew what I was doing, and made sure that people knew my intentions. Before I knew it, I actually did know what I was doing. I would merge when there was space, or hold my hand out and check a whole bunch to be sure the guy driving could see me. Only once or twice was I not sure enough, and slowed down to wait for a better opportunity. That was only in a particularly busy intersection which I eventually found a much more pleasant way around. I always wait at red lights, and almost always at stop signs. There are a few that I may slow almost to a stop before pedaling through without putting a foot down (which means coming off the seat) when there is no traffic in sight both directions.

I tend to smile and wave a lot. It's much easier to tell if a driver waiting at a cross street actually sees you and is intending to let you pass safely when they've waved merrily back at you or nodded in response. It helps that I'm a small female with colorful ribbon streamers, I think.