urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
You can use 2mm longer brass nipples. Alloy nipples like the original poster needs (for the lightest practical wheels - otherwise he'd be using deeper rims for aerodynamics and durability) won't hold up if the spokes don't make it above the seat.
That's true. I hadn't considered that since I'm a big advocate of brass nipples. My XR-200 wheels weigh in at 1375 grams, and dropping it down to 1350 (less than 2% savings) at the cost of durability wasn't something I was interested in.

Or more threads rolled on.
Also true, but if you can exchange them for free instead of paying another 20 cents per spoke...

It'd be a lot smarter to get rims, measure actual ERD, and then order the right length spokes.
My suggestion was assuming that was already done. It still doesn't always come out just right. It's rare, but even with me measuring every rim and running 3 different calculators just to check for errors or inconsistencies, about one of every hundred wheels comes up wrong (assuming all unique builds, of course).

Although Kinlin claimed a 577mm ERD for my XR-300s I measured a round 579.5mm, round 578mm, and ovoid 578 x 579.5 example.
My XR-200 rims were similar. I don't recall the measurement off the top of my head, but I believe they were both a little larger than advertised, although fairly round. Even with me taking those measurements, the spokes came up about 2mm too short.