View Single Post
Old 10-30-11, 08:28 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts
Mafac brake cable hanger quandry

I had been planning to use this Mafac hanger on a Motobecane Grand Record frame I'm building up (an acquisition from an excellent BF member). As you can see, it has two different slots to engage the tab in the seatpost binder bolt, which keeps it properly oriented--that is, parallel to the seatstays. Turned one way (the side that says "depose") the slot is at 6 o'clock. Turn it around (the side that says "Mafac") and there's a slot at about 11 o'clock. The good folks at Mafac thoughtfully designed it that way so it would work in either orientation, depending on the alignment of the corresponding slot in the ear on the seatpost lug.
But as it happens, the slot on my frame doesn't correspond to either position. I need a hanger with a slot at about 2 o'clock--see the pencil mark on the "Mafac" side of the hanger.
What kind of hanger am I looking for here? Does anyone have one on hand that they'd be willing to swap for the Mafac one I have? By the way, I know I could solve the problem by just filing an additional slot in the hanger I have, but I just don't like to take a file to things unless there's no other way.

Also, the front cable stop/hanger I have is a little thick for my application, in terms of acting as a headset spacer. It leaves enough steerer exposed to turn on the locknut about 2 1/2 turns, which is adequate, I guess, but I'd really like to have something a little thinner. Anyone want to trade a thinner Mafac (or similar) hanger stamped from sheet metal for this thicker cast aluminum one? It's NOS (so is the rear hanger) and has no manufacturer name on it that I can find. It's designed to fit a French steerer with the flat on one side.
JV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0068.jpg (90.2 KB, 63 views)
PICT0069.jpg (87.4 KB, 47 views)
PICT0070.jpg (90.5 KB, 46 views)

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash