benwahl

Bikes: 1982-86 Shogun 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixing up Shogun from the old days/ Starting at 247 lbs./ Questions

Hello Every One,
I've been reading the sticky's and doing searches but still have a couple of questions/thoughts. I'm getting back into riding and after obsessively searching for a new bike I fell in love with a older Shogun 500 that reminds me of a bike I road in High School. I'm happy with the bike but I'm tweaking it some. Ok, two main questions today.
1. What tires do people like to ride over roads and greenways? I've ordered these- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i00_details
knobby hybrids-27/1 3/8in. (75psi)that I thought would absorb some road shock and be more stable on the slick parts of the green way. I'm taking off a rear Panaracer/Tourgard 27/1 1/4in. off the back and a 27/1 1/8in off the front and after reading some threads about weight and tires I'm thinking I may be heading the wrong direction? Loved riding low profile knobby s in collage on touring frame but that was 20 years and 65lbs. ago.

2. What is the difference between 27' tires and 700c tires- everybody talks about how they ride different but I cant figure out what the size difference is? or what the bike requirements are the change? I know it must be simple but i just have not found it.
Ok thats it for today-
really inspired by some of the post in this section. I'm hoping to get down to 185lbs. I'm 43 with my first little boy turning 17months. I've got a long way to go being a dad and I'm not getting any younger. Tired of making grunt noises when I get up and down. Want to ride with my boy when he's ready.