Old 10-31-11, 02:45 AM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Please help me identify, date, and price this old Atala

I recently picked up a very neglected old Atala at a rummage sale, and am having a lot of trouble identifying what model it is and what year it's from. The only Atala catalog I can find is from 1971, and this doesn't match up with anything in there.

It is very lightweight for something so old- the seat post, stem, and handlebars are all aluminum. The stem is stamped "ttt" on one side and "MADE ITALY" on the other- I saw in another thread that this could date the bike to the late 60s? The crank is steel and has no identifying markings. The rims are aluminum but I'm pretty sure they're aftermarket (japanese brand). Derailleurs are Simplex, but I can't find anything indicating what model. The shifters are mounted on the downtube. One of the rear derailleur idler pulleys is marked "L.J. SIMPLEX BTE S.G.D.G." (the other is SunTour and is obviously a replacement). The 5 speed rear freewheel has the markings "MERATE REGINA G-S CORSE S-I-C-C." The brakes are Universal, with no model number I can find anywhere. The brake levers have leather hoods that are in absolutely awful condition. The serial number is S721780 and is located near the top of the seat tube.

Any help identifying this bike would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to determine what I should ask for it when I attempt to sell it (after it's been cleaned up and gone through, of course). There's no way I can keep this one unfortunately, I tried riding it and I'm too fat and inflexible to comfortably reach the downtube shifters and the brakes without extension levers. I'd like to get at least $100 for it, is that a realistic goal considering I live in Ohio and it's almost November?

I have taken several pictures, which can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/Bagt1
(Pictures taken after I've started tearing the bike down for a quick rehab.)