Old 10-31-11, 05:30 PM
LindyRides

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 WSD road bike; Vintage Raleigh Grand Prix ('74 I think!) 10-speed, Fuji mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie to Cyclocross -- training and prep advice???

Hi,

I've perused the archives for info on buying a cyclocross bike. I've seen the advice on reading Simon Burney's Cyclocross Training and Techniques book and have it on order. Now, I'd like some real-world perspective on the following:

1) How do you really prepare for tackling the first course you ever ride competitively?
2) How much bike do you really want to buy if you have never raced? I have a great road bike for riding distances (Trek Madone 5.2 WSD) but it's no good for cyclocross.
3) Would you go for the disc brakes now that they are legal and if so what do you see as pros and cons of them in cyclocross?
4) What psychological training tips do you have for the newbie?
5) Is this sport different for women than it is for men and if so why? (BTW, I'm not making any assumptions here. I just want to see if any women out there who are into Cyclocross have observations to share that might be woman-specific)

I'm not planning on racing this year, but I'd like to gear up and start getting out there and getting dirty and ride some of the courses -- if that's allowed off race days -- to prepare and figure out how all this works. I'm 50 but spunky, fit and determined so not about to let age be a limiter. I'm realistic enough to know that it's unlikely I'll ever end up a top competitor . . . but I'm competitive enough that I know that if I end up loving the sport I'll end up figuring out who the local leaders are in my category and going for it!

Thanks in advance to anyone who wishes to lend their advice on any or all of the questions I've posed.

Lindy