Old 11-01-11, 06:03 AM
XLR99

Bikes: 85 Cilo, '91 Bianchi Volpe, '00 Gary Fisher, '74 Raleigh SuperCourse, '06 Soma Groove, '09 Nashbar X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Andy_K;13436670]I really think you should try to get out and do a race this year, just to see what you're getting into. People can tell you what's required, but you'll think they're exaggerating. Do at least one race this year and you'll have a basic idea.
[QUOTE]

I'll second what AndyK said - just go out and do it. I was planning to wait until I got in better shape next year, but then I figured I'd just go for it and see what happened. I have a better motivator for training now, still losing weight, and I've met some more fun (and somewhat deranged ) people to ride with.
I guess it would depend on your local club about pre-riding the course on race day; My son has been pre-riding with me but hasn't entered a race yet, but it's a very laid back race format.
My first race I was kind of apprehensive, and the guy parked next to me (Cat 2 rider) just told me to reg immediately and get it over with. Glad I followed his advice!