Old 11-01-11, 07:09 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
I'm very proficient with rollers, and there is no doubt that you can go harder on the trainer when doing max efforts.

If you're going the same intensity on the rollers as your trainer, you're not training hard enough. I don't kill myself on my trainer all the time, but the times when I do go uber-hard, I go until I'm about to keel over and black out - I can't even see straight. There's no way I could go that hard on the rollers, especially for the 10sec all-out 10sec rest for 5 minutes type intervals where you need powerful accelerations which would throw you off the front of rollers on them.

But for less all-max workouts, I agree that rollers are fine. I can definitely get 300+ watts off my standard rollers with big gears and fast rpm. It's the uber hard efforts and max accelerations that are problematic on rollers as you need to spend enough time focusing on staying upright rather than hammering. ANd no, it's not remotely similar to doing it on the road, because the rollers are technically more difficult to ride than the road, so you compromise your high end effort because you have to focus on staying on them.
ok

haha

taken a look at some youtube searches for emotion rollers.