Old 11-04-11, 02:49 PM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS
Having attempted bare metal foil on a couple model cars you have my respect, I found it to be a giant pain to work with but it might be easier on metal bits.
Thanks everyone. Honestly, it really isn't that difficult. Cover the whole badge with one piece of Bare-Metal foil and burnish it down with a Q-tip or something like that. Use a sharp X-Acto mini blade to trace around the inside base of the sections you want to paint. Because you are tracing an inside 90 degree edge it's kind of self-tracking with the blade. Peel off the waste portions and lightly burnish down the foil before painting. I use regular masking tape to lightly mask off between the different color areas as that isn't as critical.

I just use regular model paint with the air brush, just get enough paint on the emblem to get it covered. These things were probably painted super-fast at the factory, so the coating doesn't need to be thick. Be sure to remove the foil mask before the paint dries. Use tweezers or a toothpick if needed. I put mine in a warm oven for a few minutes after it was painted, but that was probably optional.

Last edited by Snydermann; 11-04-11 at 03:04 PM.