View Single Post
Old 11-08-11, 03:16 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 78 Posts
1975 Masi Gran Criterium

Hi everyone,
52cm Masi Gran Criterium. I’ve been perusing the BF threads, and spent some time at Bob Hovey’s website trying to date the frame and learn what I can about it.

The BB serial number 0188 makes it (approximately) the 1213th California Masi, built in Carlsbad in 1975. I had first thought it was a later vintage because of the brazed-on top tube guides and shifter bosses, which appear in the catalogs starting in 1977. And the fire-engine red color first appears in the 1976 catalog. But the braze-on’s and the non-standard color were also available earlier as custom options. The finish looks original, at least to my untrained eye: the decals seem to be the old water-slide type, and the finish is not overly glossy. If it was refinished, it seems like it could have done it at the factory. Here are some other details:

Original fork, stamped MC52 0188, no signs of different paint.
Reynolds stamp on fork steerer.
Fischer BB ++GF++.
Pressed seat lug, I’m not sure about the others.
Slotted fork crown with Masi shield.
The fork crown is painted, and I don’t see any chrome underneath.
The down tube lettering is all yellow rather than different colors.
World Champion stripes on the seat tube, boxes facing left.
Faliero signature on the left side of the top tube.

It’s in pretty good shape. The frame is straight with good threads, and no dents, dings, rust, or any structural damage is visible. There are some sizeable scratches here and there, mostly on the lower forks and under the down tube, although the logos are in good condition and overall I think it’s quite presentable. I’m going to leave it as it is. It’s way too small for me and too large for my wife, although my youngest son will be growing into it soon. Jeez, I wish MY dad had given me a Masi for my first 10-speed. On second thought, maybe that’s not such a hot idea—I remember what happened to the first 10-speed my dad actually did give me (parked car, shortened wheelbase). So I may sell or trade it later on.

I stripped it for cleaning and inspection, then put on some spare Nuovo Record parts just to see how it looks (great of course) and to make it feel more comfortable.

A few questions for the cognoscenti:
What is the BB threading? I need to remove the fixed cup.
Opinions on the braze-on’s and finish?
Any ideas who the builder(s) would have been?
What’s the frame worth?

I couldn’t get my camera to focus correctly for the close-up pictures, but they’ll give you an idea.

Last edited by kroozer; 11-10-11 at 09:28 AM. Reason: reposting pix