View Single Post
Old 11-12-11, 09:54 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
My wife has it. Three keys for her are diet, exercise and sleep. She has a prescription sleep aid. My understanding of what happens in her case is this: She's sore, so she doesn't want to exercise. Her soreness prevents her from sleeping soundly. The sleep aid improves her sleep, and regular exercise does actually make her feel better. Before she was diagnosed and treated, she wasn't sleeping well, didn't want to move around much, and each one fed the other, creating a downward spiral. Without sleep, her body couldn't heal, which made her not want to exercise or move around, which made her more sore, which affected her sleep. From what she tells me, inactivity kind of results in something like scar tissue forming in the muscles & tendons. Without regular exercise, it kind of takes over. With regular exercise, it's kind of like clearing the cobwebs and it beats back that "scar tissue" feeling.

The diet aspect is that she has found that some foods affect how she feels. She's cut out all meat except occasional fish and drinks no alcohol. Chocolate, maybe just a little once in a while.

One other thing is that stress tends to make it worse. Don't worry, be happy, feel better (easier said than done, I know).

She's had it for several years now and manages it pretty well most of the time.

She recently started riding again, but doesn't do it very often. She does like the Wii Fit thing, though. It gets her moving around in a lot of different ways.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."