Old 07-10-05, 11:34 AM
cheebahmunkey
The Question Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sestivers
I'll be straightforward and let you know I'm hijacking your thread. I'll give you some help though. Black beans, kidney beans, soy beans (edemame) all have fair amounts of protein. Mix some in with that fake ground beef stuff and you've got a good start to a vegan taco. Another favorite of mine is to take the medium firm tofu, and cook it like scrambled eggs with lots of vegetables and potatoes in it, then cover it with salsa. Easy in more ways than one.

I've also been morphing toward vegan from vegetarian; but basically just doing what I can to avoid animal products. So I've gone to soy milk, eat fish less often, etc. But I'm wondering what to do for eggs? Not by themselves but for cookies and cakes. My understanding is that the fake eggs cannot replace them because the eggs are used to bond stuff together in those recipes. Second, is there a good cheese alternative? The only way I'm making it as a vegetarian is because cheese can make anything taste good.

Third, avoid the Boca brand if you can. It's owned by Kraft, who are in turn owned by Phillip Morris. Gardenburger brand isn't though! (But you get less protein from them so put some cheese on it ;-)
The Boca's taste like crap. I like the Morningstar Farms brand.