Old 07-10-05, 01:23 PM
willtsmith_nwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al K
Hi MTBers,

Before hitting the trail yesterday, I bought a pull-cut saw (12'' blade, coarse cut for logs, 6'' reversible handle, weighs about 2 pounds, $20 at Lowe's Hardware) and it came in handy. It's easy to carry on bike by velcroing it to frame.

A heavy storm had downed about 6 big trees across the 4 mile trail I usually ride. I was able to cut through up to 6'' - 9'' logs and limbs rather easily. It also doulbes as a macchetti - I could swipe through briar vines and various weeds along the trail.

This is the first pull-cut saw I've used and it's way better than any push cut saw, as you're using stonger muscles in a pull stroke than in a push stroke.

Clearing the trail was fun and hard, and it helped all who use the trail. Good upper body workout.

Three 18'' - 24'' logs remain accross the trail.
Great to see trail workers speaking up on the forums. Most people I see on forums see their riding and yapping on bulliten boards as their contribution to the mountain biking worlds.

Those who don't contribute, get in touch with your local trail group and volunteer. The things we could accomplish with more volunteers would be amazing. Before you say you have no time, we have an orthodondist with a full time practice in our group, family and everything. If he can put out a little manual labor, so can you.

Sorry to say that your taxpayer dollars in most cases do not pay people to maintain trails like they maintain streets. Even if it's on public lands, it's most likely volunteers who cut and maintain MTB trails. So please those of you who take advantage of everbody else's work, please get off your duff and put in a effort.