Old 11-16-11, 12:38 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I'd suggest you start looking on www.bikeExchange.com.au to see what is available. You will have to find out what size suits you -- you are very tall and a lot of bike models stocked in Australia likely won't extend to your size right off the showroom floor.

Some localised brands to look for are Avanti (New Zealand) and Malvern Star (a revived name, but their models extend to a quality carbon-fibre job -- and yes, I know you aren't in the market fpr one of them, but it illustrates that the quality isn't bad).

Giants are very popular in Australia. Treks not as much. Specialized also has its fans.

I frequent eBay a lot, and I know there are bikes of various sorts come up there, including odd sizes (read, large and extra large) that might have been custom built for the owners but are no longer wanted. And quite a few are posted by SE Queenslanders.

That fit thing is the crux of it, however, You will need to see how a few frames at some bike shops suit you. Don't settle for too small or cramped just because the LBS guy wants to make a sale. I don't have any recommendations for a bike shop in SE Queensland, and there aren't any Bikes Direct equivalents in Australia as far as I know.