View Single Post
Old 11-16-11, 01:01 PM
tony_merlino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idc
I've jumped in and out of this thread without reading all of it as well. I don't know that anyone expects you to read 22 pages.

My understanding is that helmets can protect you from certain impacts. However, most of these impacts would not be particularly damaging if you didn't have a helmet, and most life-threatening impacts in road cycling would probably not be alleviated from wearing a standard bike helmet. Also, because helmets make your head larger it is possible that they worsen the rotational injury effects of an impact.

My personal stance is that it is my head and I would rather have no damage, even if it's superficial. I can't imagine what road rash on my ear would feel like. I've thrice been grateful to have my helmet. Once for superficial damage (helmet cracked), once for possibly more (went over handlebars and the foam was compressed), and once for protection from... angry birds (beak indentations in foam). I also prefer to wear my head shell because most serious road cyclists wear them, and it gives the appearance of safety and conscientiousness as a road user to other traffic (even if doesn't really make me more safe).

The efficacy of seat belts in cars has a lot more science behind it from what I can tell.

No doubt there's experts here who can give you better advice than I.
Well, this has been more or less my approach as well, though I'm certainly less well informed. Mostly my attitude has been, "This can't hurt and might help, and isn't very much trouble to do..." I'm surprised to learn that, in some cases, it can do more harm than good. But your comments about road rash on the head are well taken.