Old 11-17-11, 09:33 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Find a bike that fits. That's what is most important. You are fortunate to have (IMO) a very generous budget. You need to find a bike that catches your eye and fits your rump, then sort out the fine points as you go. No offense, but you seem to have too much internet facts and not enough saddle time.

I'm sure everybody with a few miles under their pedals can tell you stories of some piece of equipment that they "had to get" and ended up not liking it, or finding it not appropriate for them. Your "needs" will change over time. Don't think you are going to get it all perfect right out of the gate. It would be nice if you could, but the odds are against it. On the other side of that same coin, don't get discouraged if something doesn't work out as planned. We all have boxes of "spare parts" from things that didn't work (or active Craigslist/eBay sales, haha).

For what it's worth, I like the Tiagra level stuff a lot, I'm never going to make it to The Tour, so Dura Ace is probably not going to be in my future. I'm a huge guy that rides a big, old, steel road bikes, and I love them. I thought I would love brifters, but I learned that I could take 'em or leave 'em. I thought I would hate going to drop handlebars from the flat bars that I grew up with, but I find that I love them.

In the end, it's probably best to learn from other people's experiences, but form your own opinions.