Old 11-17-11, 12:21 PM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to address items other than bikes, seeing as how we're semi-neighbors (I have a 10-12 mile commute parallel to the Centerville Rd/Rt 28 corridor Herndon-Chantilly).
Local information - WABA, BikeWashingtonDC, FABB, and the Washington Area Bike Forum are all good places for local info. Several local commuters post here and in the Southeast and Northeast regional forums (Metro DC crosses the forum boundary). If you can provide a general idea of your start/end points and proposed route, folks with 1st-hand local knowledge can suggest feasibility & alternatives.

Crossing big roads like 66 and the Beltway is a hassel. Look for side roads, paths, sometimes a detour of a mile or less can put you on a better route. Use google maps/google earth/bing's aerial photos and zoom to spot pedestrian paths and walks connecting adjacent subdivisions as a means to bypass busier roads (example from one of my commute options - not my neighborhhod).

Look at going bike-bus-bike to cover longer distances (10 miles 1-way may feel like a lot when starting out). Every bus route in your area (Fairfax Connector, Metro, Arlington, CUE) has a 2-bike front rack. Or bus/drive 1-way and bike the other. If you use Metrorail, get a folding bike (Bikes@Vienna or Mt Airy/College Park Bikes).

This time of year you NEED lights (and more than a minimal "be seen" blinky). And some cold/wet weather gear. Watch for sales at REI, HTO, and Performance, and use house-brand stuff at Kohls & Target (and even Wal-Mart!) for base layers and such. For me at least, extremities (hands, head, feet), followed by core, followed by arms are most critical. Leg warmers are enough for me down to about 32 deg, as the legs are producing all the heat!

The major bike trail (W&OD) may not be plowed after snow storms (NVRPA did do a scraping after some of last winter's big storms) and the road crossings can be a problem after snows. I used 32mm studded tires and side streets for a shorter (4 mile) commute last winter. No major problems, but rutted or soft snow was difficult for me to navigate. I may wimp out this winter, depending on how well (or not) particular parts of my route are maintained. A friend commuted all winter from Herndon - McLean using an MTB, fat tires, and low inflation pressure. He also used the Rt 7 shoulder (he *is* crazy) when the W&OD was impassable (NOT recommended)! A general problem around here is the poor maintenance of shoulders, side paths, and trails (and you though "they" did a lousy job just on the roads).

Gear - I leave toiletries, shoes, bulky items @ work (we have a shower and day-use lockers). Other folks bird-bath or ride slow in the AM to avoid sweating. I prefer panniers over a backpack, but I prefer my road bike (on dry days) to my commuter, so ride with a commuting backpack (REI Novarra) a lot. Large zip lok bags to keep clothes dry is cheaper than waterproof panniers. I also leave my lock (U-lock & cable) on the rack at work. I don't worry about leaving patch kit, lights, computer on the bike, but that will depend on the specifics at your work site.

Bike selection (I couldn't resist) - anything will do; make sure it's comfortable and you can carry whatever you need to bring or have with you. I've gone through several different iterations (starting with a hard-tail MTB in 2002-2003), currently have my "nice" road bike, it's predecessor (rainy day road bike?) and a cross bike (Bianchi Castro Valley frame, cantilever brakes) outfitted as a commuter (fenders, racks, lights). Whatever you get now, assume you will replace it with something "better" after you have been commuting a while.

Good luck!