View Single Post
Old 11-18-11, 02:03 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes you can absolutely buff out scratches. However, if its a part you treasure I'd trust it to someone who has made polishing and restoration of vintage components a passion. You can find several members on this forum who would do it for you, for a fee, for vintage kit, and some just to see the part restored.

You can absolutely have any part re-anodized. Anodizing is not some mysterious alchemy that only the Italians knew in the 60s/70s/80s but is lost to the modern world.

However, the better question is why bother? Instead, why not source a Cinelli Grammo titanium stem and add some bling to the bike? Titanium quill stems sell for shamefully low prices nowadays. I picked up one (in my length even) for $25. I'll have to have a custom built someday just to use that stem because the drop doesn't work for me on my marginally too small bikes.