Old 11-20-11, 11:46 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hopperja
I also have the Jandd Expedition rack and it provides ample heel clearance. Heel clearance also depends on the size of the bag too.

That being said, have you considered a large saddle bag for commuting? My personal favorite is the Nelson Longflap. Waterproof, breathable, virtually indestructible, and doesn't require a rear rack.
I am considering it. I'm about to be combining commuting to work full time with going to school part time again for the next two years, then full time both after that. I'm thinking I'll need to be able to carry two panniers worth of stuff regularly. I have a Chrome Metropolis too, but I'd like to get the load off my back, my work is physical enough and then I'm rolling at least 70 miles a week, and most weeks at least 100. I'm toying with the idea of a large saddlebag and a front rack that will take panniers, but with all the weight I've got to carry I'm not sure I want that much of it on the front despite being an experienced tourer.

I think the biggest turn off for the saddlebags for me is I have yet to see one that looks like it'd come quickly off the bike and be comfortable to portage from the racks all the way up four flights of stairs to class, or all the way back and forth across a large hospital campus to the bike commuters locker room from my department and the bike cage, especially since I'll probably be lugging at least one more bag around with me.

It's good to hear the Nelson Longflap is waterproof, here is Seattle that is a must! Does it have attachment for a shoulder strap? If so, is it comfortable at all to sling for the equivalent of a couple of blocks? Did you have to get one of those bars that support its weight so it doesn't swing around or otherwise support it?

Last edited by Medic Zero; 11-20-11 at 11:52 PM.