View Single Post
Old 11-25-11, 07:49 AM
ScottieDog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see. So MTB shoes won´t fit to road pedals, and road shoes wont fit to mtb pedals ?

Thanks for all the advice. Appreciated.

I was looking at the M530, which are like the 520 but have a small cage around them which helps platform the foot when clicked in (apparently). Also helps protect the binding I suppose, from rocks etc... And is double sided which I think it better for me...

Originally Posted by a1penguin
SPD. Get the Shimano M520 pedals. Inexpensive; weight not too bad. I just got a new commuter and did a bit of searching on the forums for SPDs. I was wondering if I wanted to try the 530s (IIRC) that have one side with clips and the other with platform so I don't need cycling shoes. After looking at the different pedals at REI, I decided I wanted the 520s. The clips mount in recessed holes on the bottom of the shoes, so you can easily walk in them. Road pedals might be a bit lighter, but they'll cost a lot more and you can't walk in road shoes.

The 540 pedals aren't worth the additional $$ for lighter pedals. M520s with clips are $32 on Amazon. From the posts I read, it seems that the really cheap Forte and Wellgo pedals didn't work as well as the Shimano 520s.

You should be able to find info on the web that tells you what cleats fit what pedals. I think SPD only has two cleats: 51s and 56s. The 56s allow you to pull up to unclip. I actually pull up when I pedal (sometimes :-), so I only use the 51s.