View Single Post
Old 11-28-11, 10:25 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jgalak
I'd been off the bike for a few months due to an injury, and now that I can ride again, the weather went and turned cool on me. As I'm new to this, I have no idea what one should wear to ride in fall/winter weather. I'm 6'1", about 280lbs, and in the summer rode happily in an a pair of Love2Pedal bibshorts in 3XL plus a normal 3XL t-shirt.

I picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi ELITE Thermal Cycle Tights (http://www.rei.com/product/803403/pe...le-tights-mens) in XL, and they fit OK, but I had issues with the waistband rolling. I then put on a wicking t-shirt under a regular t-shirt, and went riding in about 55F weather. My legs were fine, but even after 5 miles my torso was freezing - the wind was cutting right through me, even at a fairly slow 12mph or so. I had to stop after about 5 miles due to the cold - just couldn't do it.

So I'm hoping for some advice: Does anyone sell bib-tights large enough to fit me? Pearl Izumi has one style of bib-tights, but they only go to 2XL. Anyone know if the size would work for me (I can't seem to source them locally, so would need to mail order)?

What should I wear on the torso? I see various long-sleeve jerseys, do they block the wind? Or do I need a jacket? Are there specific ones folks like that are available in my size?

Down to about 65F I'm ok in my summer gear, but I'd really like to keep riding as the temps drop through the 50s, and even 40s.

Advice appreciated...
In this photo:

2x bib tights from Performance, wool socks, cheap compression shirt from Wal-Mart, winter weight long sleeve jersey, cycling cap. Temperature starting out in the upper 40s. French Creek State Park, PA, November 2008. 16 mile ride with 40 pounds of gear in a trailer.

Nashbar 2xlT tights (bad size for me, they are too long), same base layer as above, long sleeve jersey, wool hiking socks, Performance jacket, long fingered gloves. Sheeder-Hall covered bridge, PA, March 2009. Temps in the low 50s for this 8 mile ride.

Same basic ensemble as above, except I'm wearing a rain jacket and hiking boots. Fort Washington, PA, December 23, 2007. Temps in the upper 40s with rain.

This was a fail, despite my appearing with Rocky. Temps in the low 40s on a 72 mile ride November 2007. The jacket was too thin and I didn't wear insulated gloves. I was severely bonked when I got home. Other than that same ensemble as above.

Same ensemble as above, except I've added a Performance Bike sweatshirt (synthetic fabric). Temps in the 40s Christmas Day, 2007. Start of a 35 mile ride home. I was so warm I kept the jacket open, zipping and unzipping the sweatshirt as needed.