Old 12-01-11, 03:38 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Technically correct but not in common parlance. "Dish" is usually implies asymetric rim location over the hub flanges. A wheel with an OLD great enough and an driveside off-set small enough that the rim can be completely or nearly centered over the hub flanges (or a front wheel for that matter) is not thought of as having "dish".
"Dish"

Two part definition - covered in depth by none other than Sheldon Brown himself:

A. As an adjective - the appearance of "dish".

Flip a front wheel in the horizontal plane - the shape formed by the hub - spokes - and rim can be loosely described as a "dish". Location of flanges determine how deep or shallow the "dish" is. Most fronts are symmetrical - the same "dish" appears either way you flip the wheel.

Flip a rear multi-geared wheel. The appearance of "dish" will be asymmetrical. One side will be deep - the other side shallow. In some cases, the asymmetry will be so extreme - there is no need to flip the wheel - just one view as a whole can be described as a "dish" - and a very deep one.

[This is the non-technical description of dish - which most people talk about...]

B. As a verb - the act of "dishing" or determining the "dish" of a wheel.

Whether a wheel is a front symmetrical wheel, a multi-geared rear wheel, a disc front wheel, or a single speed symmetrical rear wheel - all wheels properly built and used in the typical bicycle frame must be dished.

-- The rim must be CENTERED between the axle lock nuts or axle end caps. --

That is exactly what a dishing tool tests for, and what flipping a wheel in a truing stand tests for. They test for whether or not the wheel is "dished" - rim centered between the lock nuts or end caps of the axle.

Important points:

1. While most people will casually use the terms "more dished" or "less dished", is it actually better to say, "off-dish", "dished", "more symmetrically dished" or "more asymmetrically dished" or "need improvement."

2. All properly built single-flange wheels (Aerospoke for example) must be "dished" even though they don't have the appearance of "dish".

3. All properly built dual-flange wheels must be "dished" and will have the appearance of "dish".

4. There is no such thing as a "zero dish" or "no dish" wheel for our typical and traditional symmetrically aligned bicycle frames that we commonly use.

(There has been a manufacturer in the past though that has made asymmetrical frames...in the UK if I remember correctly.)

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life