View Single Post
Old 12-03-11, 04:34 PM
tony_merlino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
More fat acceptance language. And even if it were true, what does "gain the weight back" mean? Every ounce? Even your own example you didn't reach your previous highs.
Sure I did. My all-time high was 230, and yes, I never hit that again. But I've been in the 215 - 225 range a couple of times since my first major weight loss - and lost it again. I'm brushing against the 215 mark right now. And just a year ago, I was 175.

But it isn't "fat acceptance language". I just know myself well enough to know that, if I don't make keeping weight off an obsession, as Goldfinch put it, I won't keep the weight off. And experience has also taught me that, in nearly 40 years of riding this see-saw, that I don't know how to sustain that obsession. Does that mean that I'm not going to lose this weight? Of course not. As I said, better to be thin for as many years as I can manage, than to be fat for that entire time.

Your comparing the metabolism of a 20 year old to that of a man in his fifties is another matter.....
Honestly, I haven't found that my metabolism has changed all that much. It's still pretty much calories in, calories out in a pretty deterministic way. I read some of the posts with great interest - they seem to violate the law of conservation of energy. My body, I'm sometimes happy and sometimes not so happy to say, obeys the laws of physics pretty well.